Thursday, September 18, 2008

Value-Adding... SeaWorld Style

Ok. I'll admit it. I'm not exactly your tree hugging, crystal kissing, wind chime making, incense burning, homemade yogurt eating, carbon neutral, type of guy.
But I am trying to enlighten myself.
Take animal welfare for example. I actually believe in it. Seriously.
Most recently I got to thinking about dolphins at places like SeaWorld.
Wonderful, majestic creatures... so graceful. However, it dawned on me, perhaps not a brilliant revelation, but it did dawn on me that we could rescue more sick and injured dolphins if places like SeaWorld had more money... told you it wasn't brilliant. But where I think I may be on to something is how this could be done without asking for donations or raising entry prices...
Aha! Got your attention now don't I?

It was a bit difficult at first thinking of ways you can value-add with dolphins. After watching Sesame Street for creative inspiration it hit me... MILK!!!

Dolphins are mammals. It all makes sense.
Dolphin ice cream
Dolphin cheese.
Dolphin yogurt.
Dolphin milkshakes.
Dolphin whipped cream in a can.
And so on and so on.

Picture this. It's a hot summer day. You wonder what you'd like to do. Water pops into your mind. Beach? No. Water slides? Possibly. SeaWorld? YES!!! You get there. Start to enjoy the show.
"Spot the Dolphin" is performing magnificently. Leaping through the hoop, waving with a flipper, pushing one of the trainers really fast through the water. It's really something. The show pauses for intermission.
You realise it's thirsty work doing all that cheering and applauding... Hmmmm... what to get to drink? You head over to the concession stand. Mmmmmmmm a big frosty, chocolate, dolphin-milk milkshake, maybe a dolphin-milk icecream as well. PERFECT!!! You pay your $8.50. And there you have it. You've just value-added $8.50 to "Spot the Dolphin" without paying any extra at the gate. And not a donation bucket in sight.

Now I have thought about the possibility of training "Spot the Dolphin" to leap up onto a BBQ grill at the end of his life expectancy... but something tells me the world isn't quite ready for dolphin burgers, dolphin steaks, dolphin kebabs etc. No matter how many sick or injured dolphins that extra money might save.

No comments: